Book Review: Tails of Wonder and Imagination, Compiled by Ellen Datlow

Tails of Wonder and ImaginationTails of Wonder and Imagination by Ellen Datlow
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Tails of Wonder and Imagination is an anthology of short stories by various writers. I picked it up because one of the stories is by Susanna Clarke, who wrote Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Also included are Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, George RR Martin, Joyce Carol Oates and many others, of course. I thought, due to the name, that the stories would be of the more fantastical nature, but some of them are just scary, or disturbing. The Gaiman story, called "The Price", was haunting, it has stuck with me. Some were interesting, and some were just gruesome. I love cats, and the stories in which cats were tortured and killed were upsetting. One of the stories, "Returns", simply broke my heart. Among the sadness and horror, there are some delightful, even funny stories, like the one about Schrödinger’s Cat. All in all, if you're a cat lover, you might not like to read this book because it will make you sad and angry, but some of the tales shine.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Death of a Ghost (Hamish Macbeth, #32) by M.C. Beaton

Book Review: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke