Book Review: This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection by Carol Burnett

This Time Together: Laughter and ReflectionThis Time Together: Laughter and Reflection by Carol Burnett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I thoroughly enjoyed Carol Burnett's memoir, "This Time Together". I loved Carol Burnett's show when I was a kid, I always thought she was a wonderful person, and her book is also wonderful. It's based on questions asked by audience members in her live show, and is a collection of stories, basically from the time she left her home to be an actor on Broadway, up to the present.

I laughed right out loud at some of the recollections of events from the early days of the show, and found myself blinking back tears as I read about the deaths of people she loved. This is no "tell-all" scandalous gossip rag of a book, it's the genuine and heart-felt remembrances of a TV legend. You won't see scathing commentaries on stars' foibles here - rather a collection of sweet, funny stories about all the greats - Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, Vicki Lawrence (her story is really cool!), even Marlon Brando and Joan Crawford. The writing style is just as if Carol Burnett is sitting across from you, telling you all of these tales of her life.

After I closed "This Time Together", I was so glad to have read it. It's a good, joyful book.



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Death of a Ghost (Hamish Macbeth, #32) by M.C. Beaton

Book Review: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke