Book Review: Mr. Miracle: A Christmas Novel, by Debbie Macomber

Mr. Miracle: A Christmas NovelMr. Miracle: A Christmas Novel by Debbie Macomber
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really like Debbie Macomber's novels. They always have happy endings and sometimes that is just what you need. The Shirley, Goodness and Mercy books were my introduction to the Angelic Intervention Series, and I have enjoyed their stories. Mr. Miracle is an expansion on this theme, in which an angel comes to Earth, in earthly form, to help a mortal. In this case, the angel is Harry Mills, who has come as a professor for a literature class to guide Addie and Erich to find love. Harry also has to deal with the stern and mean college dean, Mr. Concieto, an amorous French teacher, and a few other interesting characters.

As much as I've enjoyed the past Christmas novels, this one just didn't do it for me. It just had no depth at all, and really, I don't read Christmas novels for depth, but I didn't really care much about the characters, I didn't feel like I really knew them. It was all too pat, and almost seemed like a jumping point for other novels about some of the other characters. The whole Addie/Erich romance didn't ring true. Harry was cute, I would've liked more about him adjusting to life on Earth. I have a feeling there will be a book about the soldier and his angelic helper, maybe that one will be better.

I received an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) of this novel in a contest by Random House Publishing.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Death of a Ghost (Hamish Macbeth, #32) by M.C. Beaton

Book Review: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke