Book Review : How to be a Good Wife, by Emma Chapman

How To Be a Good WifeHow To Be a Good Wife by Emma Chapman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Marta has started having hallucinations, or has she?(Imagine that sentence as spoken by Keith Morrison).

This is a tough review to write, because it feels like saying anything will be a spoiler. Marta is a 40-something year old wife and mother. Her husband is 20 years older than she is, and her son has left the home to be out on his own "in the city". That she is depressed, there is no doubt. What kind of pills is she (not) taking? The entire book keeps you guessing about what is really happening, or has happened. I felt myself becoming more disgusted and horrified with one of the main characters as the narrative continued. Will we ever know the truth? (view spoiler)I'm not sure, even now, after having a day to digest the whole thing.

And although this isn't a horror story, per say, I was about halfway through the book when I retired one evening. I had to steel myself to not imagine hands grabbing me from under the bed. Really.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Death of a Ghost (Hamish Macbeth, #32) by M.C. Beaton

Book Review: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke