Rain, Rain, DON'T Go Away!

It started gloriously raining this afternoon. I love rain with a passion, from growing up in the desert. When it would rain during the monsoon season back when I was a kid, all the adult neighbors would open their garage doors and sit just inside on lawn chairs while us kids went wild running through the flooded gutters and laid in the flooded gutters and just flat out had a ball. We didn't care about the thunder or lightening (it was another time). It wasn't ever too cold, since it happened in the summer. If you were out in the desert, grogs frogs would miraculously come up from the ground fully grown. It was a spectacle, I tell ya! The annual average rainfall in the Valley of the Sun is just over 8 inches A YEAR, so you can imagine the joy a big storm engendered in all of us. Nobody complained about the rain, at least if they'd been in Arizona for more than a couple months.

This reminds me of a verse:
"When he thunders, the waters in the heavens roar; he makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth. He sends lightning with the rain and brings out the wind from his storehouses." - Jeremiah 51:16

Last night I did a good thing, or maybe didn't do a bad thing. I resisted the after dinner ice cream. It wasn't very hard, the worst was seeing the peeps eating it. I just didn't do it and saved myself 400 calories or so and I think I probably slept better from not having a bunch of sugar in my system when I went to bed.

I also worked out this morning, legs and abs. Tomorrow is some good basic cardio, which should be nice.

I just finished a book that I enjoyed very much, Gunny's Rules: How to Get Squared Away Like a Marine, by R. Lee Ermey. You'd recognize him from movies such as "Full Metal Jacket" and shows like "Mail Call". The description says. "Put down your sissy drink with its umbrella, get off your backside, and square yourself away. Get fit, get a job, and get yourself some self-respect. America’s favorite, most in-your-face sarge is going to show you how to get squared away like a Marine." It's very motivational. I recommend it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: If You Were Here by Jen Lancaster

Homemade Oven Cleaner Test

Book Review: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke